Tunic dress - stylish and modern look
Dresses of the "tunic" style are often found in the wardrobe of women of fashion. These outfits are comfortable and suitable for a woman of any age. Modern tunic dresses are presented in many models, differing in style, colors, and fabrics used for their sewing.
Compared to a short tunic, a dress of this style is longer, which makes it an independent piece of clothing that does not need to be supplemented with trousers or shorts. Although, if there is a desire, it is permissible to combine a tunic dress with such wardrobe items. This versatility is the main difference.
Other features of the outfits of this style are:
- Loose fit.
- T-shaped silhouette.
- Lack of collar.
The sleeve in a tunic dress may be missing or have different lengths. Also, many models have side slits.
A bit of history
Tunics began to be worn back in the days of Ancient Rome and Greece, and it was not only women's clothing, but also an item of men's wardrobe.
It was created from two pieces of rectangular fabric, which were attached to each other on the shoulders with the help of buckles. By the fabric used for the tunic it was possible to assess the condition of its owner.
The men's tunic was a product of medium length (up to the knees), while the women's tunic was different in length to the ankles. Almost always, the tunic was complemented with a strap, as well as a cape. A little later, tunics remained only in the wardrobe of women. They began to use stones and embroidery in their decoration.
In the Middle Ages, such clothes were worn only by priests, as well as people living in the East. From the middle of the 20th century, women began to wear the tunic again.
Now a dress of this style is in demand and regularly appears on the catwalks.
Who is it for?
Tunic dresses are loved for their versatility, because such an outfit suits absolutely any woman, no matter what her physique or how old she is.
It is enough to choose the right style, and every girl will be able to emphasize the advantages of the figure, and all the shortcomings will be hidden.
This style looks especially beautiful on tall girls and women of medium height. If the girl is tall, the tunic will be beneficial to emphasize the long legs. For beauties with average growth, such a dress is able to visually lengthen the line of the legs.
The big advantage of the "tunic" style dress is the ability to use such an outfit in the wardrobe of girls with fullness. A loose fit will help distract attention from imperfections in the waist area. This advantage of tunics is also loved by expectant mothers who do not want to focus on their growing tummy ahead of time.
Tunics in the wardrobe of fashionistas are often represented by the following models:
- Straight cut dresses with different lengths. A variation of this model can be a tunic slightly widened downwards.
- Wide beach dress. It is made from translucent materials and is worn on the beach. If such a tunic is worn in the city, then it must be complemented with jeans or trousers.
- Knitted turtleneck tunic. The model features a closed top and a length below the hips.
- Tunic shirt. This dress is similar to a man's shirt, but it is longer.
- High-waisted model. Under the bust, such a tunic often has an assembly, so such a dress is in demand among very thin girls and expectant mothers.
- "Bat". This is a summer version of a tunic dress that helps to hide the fullness.
Tunics may differ:
- Color scheme. Monochromatic tunic dresses are traditionally in high demand, but there are also many models with bright prints.
- Long. Dresses of this style are presented by models from ultra-short to floor-length products.
- Neckline. Most often, the neckline in a tunic dress is round or V-shaped, but there are also models with a square neckline.
- Decor. In addition to an interesting pattern, a tunic can attract attention with patch pockets, lacing, sequins, embroidery and other elements.
The classic colors in which dresses of this style are most often found include white, black and red. Blue and turquoise tunics are also popular. Products in shades of these colors are relevant at any time of the year, although light models are more often chosen for the summer period.
They also tend to pastel colors when choosing such a style as clothing for the office. Business women like tunics in cream, beige, sand or gray. A black outfit of this style can successfully replace an evening sheath dress.
A tunic dress can refer to:
- Business style. Such tunics are laconic and austere, practically without finishing, mainly beige, gray and black.
- Romantic style. These tunic dresses are often decorated with draperies, bows, ruffles and other decor.
- Ethno-style. The peculiarities of such tunics are bright print and unusual cut.
- Gypsy style. These tunic dresses have puffy sleeves (they are often gathered with an elastic band) and a wide neckline.
- Eastern style. The characteristic features of such tunics are the presence of kimono sleeves, stand-up collars and other elements of Asian national dress.
- Sports style. These tunics often have long sleeves and a hood.
Tunics are very variable in length. You can see both short models and floor-length products, but the most common dresses of this style differ in knee length or slightly higher (up to mid-thigh).
When choosing the length of the outfit, you should take into account the characteristics of your legs and physique in general.
If a woman wants to hide the fullness of the hips or uneven legs, long models are preferable, and thin girls with slender legs can easily wear a tunic with a mini length. Knee-length tunics look perfect on both slender young ladies and beauties with a magnificent figure.
A variety of fabrics are used for the manufacture of tunics. Summer models are traditionally made from lightweight materials such as chiffon and satin. Silk is often used for evening models, and wool, cashmere and knitwear are most in demand for sewing tunics for cool weather. Linen and cotton are widely used when creating ethnic-style outfits.
White tunic dresses take one of the leading places when choosing summer clothes.
Also, summer models include bright tunics with geometric, abstract or floral prints.
Spring / Autumn
In cool weather, girls prefer tunics made of warm fabrics, for example, knitted models that resemble an elongated sweatshirt.
In cold weather, tunic dresses made of wool and knitwear are in great demand. Often, models made from these materials are dull and monochromatic, and their length reaches below the knees. They are combined with a jacket or cardigan, as well as with boots with heels.
Crochet and knitting tunic dresses
Knitted tunic dresses that emphasize the dignity of the female figure are in great demand. They usually look like an elongated sweater.
Warmth and comfort emanates from such things. You can purchase both thin summer models and warm ones for the autumn-winter period. If you want an exclusive, order hand-knitted tunic dresses from needlewomen. Knitted tunics are worn both independently and together with other clothes. An absolute must have!
To the office
Discreet models of dress-tunics of restrained colors are a good option for a business look. A plain tunic is successfully combined with black trousers or with a contrasting color pencil skirt.
Often, a business-style tunic dress is worn on top of a turtleneck or blouse. In addition, for the autumn-winter period, office models of tunics are combined with classic jackets or cardigans.
In a tunic dress it is convenient to walk around the city with friends and go on a date. In the summer, the image should be created from a translucent tunic and light jeans or thin trousers.
For a walk in spring or autumn, you can wear knitted tunics, complementing them with turtlenecks and leggings. At the same time, it is important to choose the right accessories, for example, a thin belt to draw attention to the waist line, and as a decoration - a pendant on a chain or a scarf.
You can also wear bright tunic dresses trimmed with embroidery, faux pearls, rhinestones or lace for a walk. Products with prints, both abstract and floral, are also very popular.
Beach tunic dress
The tunic can be called one of the best options for beachwear. Such a dress made of translucent fabric is worn with sandals or flat sandals. Most often, beach versions of tunic dresses are represented by short models that can be worn with shorts or trousers.
To accentuate the waist area, a beach tunic is complemented with a thin belt or belt.
What to wear with?
- Summer tunics are worn with capri pants, pleated skirts, shorts, wide trousers, and breeches.
- In cool weather, jeans, tight tights, leggings, turtlenecks are worn under the tunic.
Beads or long chains with interesting pendants are well suited to tunic dresses. They should be avoided only if there is embroidery on the product itself. Also, a dress of this style is complemented with bracelets and earrings.
Many tunics go well with a belt or belt, especially if you want to emphasize a thin waist.
If a girl is overweight, she should not wear a wide belt with a tunic, as well as large jewelry.
Winter tunic dresses are worn with leather or suede boots, which should have either high heels or wedges. If you choose flat-soled shoes for such a dress, it can visually reduce the height of the girl.
But sandals with low heels will be a very good addition to a short tunic dress. However, models with short and medium lengths are great combined with high-heeled shoes.
Also, a tunic above the knees looks attractive with openwork boots. If you put on trousers or shorts under a tunic, shoes for such a set can be presented with ballet flats or clogs.